The United Nations started the International Day of Charity on September 5th to commemorate the anniversary of the passing away of Mother Teresa of Calcutta.
Mother Teresa of Calcutta, received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 "for work undertaken in the struggle to overcome poverty and distress, which also constitute a threat to peace."
The United Nations website says charity, like the notions of volunteerism and philanthropy, provides real social bonding and contributes to the creation of inclusive and more resilient societies.
It also promotes the rights of the marginalized and underprivileged.
Here at Andover and District Mencap our mission is "Enabling choice and independence to people with a learning disability.”.
We continually strive to develop as an organisation, ensuring that we raise awareness and change attitudes surrounding learning disabilities within our community for many years to come.
During our 50 years, we have worked tirelessly to develop a range of bespoke facilities.
We have our community focused Wellington Centre, Supported Living Accommodation, Domiciliary Care and a wide range of community initiatives.
All this work needs support. If you want to help closer to home you can help us
in these ways.
1. Go to our donations page and pick one of the many projects and donate to their efforts., Marathon running and Walking the Test Valley are a few of the ways you can donate.
2. Volunteer your time at our fundraising events. Currently, we would like to help with our 80's disco party on September 20th. You can email us at [email protected] for more information. https://andovermencap.org/upcoming-events
3. Come along to our events. We are holding a Golf Day on September 20th or join the Walk the Test Valley team on Sunday September 29th. If you want to help email [email protected]
4. Donate via your shopping. Andover and District Mencap has an affiliate scheme with Easy Shopping and Amazon Smile. As you shop, the schemes donate funds to our organisation.
5. Leave Andover and District Mencap funds in your will. This area is complicated and you need support of a lawyer. We have a wonderful article following which will explain the basics. We have one request, please make sure you put Andover and District Mencap in your will so the funds go to the correct charity. Mencap will go to Royal Mencap.
However you choose to support us, we are grateful for your help.