Employment and Support Allowance and Prescription Charges-benefit advice

It is important to be aware that you are not automatically exempt because you get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence payment or if you are receiving contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance. The only exemptions are for those who get:

• Income Support

• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

• Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

Many people have been transferred to contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (support group) usually because they have been moved from Incapacity Benefit, (which is also contribution-based)

If this has happened to you, you can ask to be put on income-based Employment and Support Allowance by asking for an ES3, which is a means-tested form, very similar to the old Income Support form. Just ask the Department of Work and Pensions unit dealing with your claim.

Marian Grundy

(Information from Down’s Syndrome Association)


Andover and District Mencap

Enabling Choice & Independence

The Wellington Centre

Winchester Rd, Andover
Hampshire, SP10 2EG


Opening Hours

Monday to Friday, 9.00 – 17.00

General enquiries:

01264 321840
[email protected]